Friday, February 3, 2012

Confession

I am so ready to be back in the office today and feel so 'guilty' for not being here because I've only commenced work last Monday! On the other hand, I really have no choice. My family does come first and I need to get well too. No point coming into the office and cross-infecting the team as well. That would be disastrous and even more guilt on my part. Just as well I have Wednesdays off so technically, I only took 1 sick day. Am I saying this to make myself feel better? Definitely! :)

There's something peculiar about the flu and I have a feeling that if I record this, it might jinx me. Am I prepared to take the risk? Nooooo....Yesssss...I CANNOT not share!!! Oh dear.

In the beginning of the week (Monday and Tuesday nights), the twins had to be cuddled for at least 2 hours before they would finally lay their heads and bodies to rest and we put it to discomfort associated with the flu. We always wanted to comfort them and also watch *ahem* My Kitchen Rules in peace & quiet. Win-win for all four of us, I say. Well, Wednesday evening was mayhem. The twins refuse to sleep and prior to bedtime at 6pm, I could tell that their colds were improving and they were very tired. Hence at 6pm after their baths, it was straight to bed. We shut their bedroom door and walked to the other side of our home for dinner.

The crying began as we had anticipated. We made a pact that evening that we would not cuddle them to sleep and that we would check in on them every 30 minutes or so, just to ensure that they are okay. I was way too exhausted due to the flu to get off the couch *ahem* I was "busy" playing Words with Friends so Jared tasked himself. The moment he went in, they both shut up and giggled! Cheeky little cherubs! That's it, no more checks! To cut the long story short, Charlotte cried for 45 minutes long and Daniel's was miles ahead with 1.5 hours! That night, they slept like angels - no peep or squeak the ENTIRE NIGHT. Wow! All of us needed that sleep to regain our energies and for our bodies to repair themselves.

Now, the cherubs are clever. We seriously don't give little children enough credit. They tried the crying tactic on us again for the following nights. We practiced the same technique - shut the door and walk away. Last night, they cried for 15 minutes and it was peace & quiet. Just beautiful. Yes, we watched My Kitchen Rules followed by Desperate Housewives without any interruptions. It was beautiful.

For the benefit of the few of you who read this blog (except for one dear friend who lives across the road - we send each other regular SMSes throughout the day about our kids and lives in general to keep each other sane and encouraged), our cherubs have been good kids. They sleep through the night most nights and we have always been very strict with their bedtime routine. We will not let anything or anyone jinx it. All done in the hope that with strict persistance and loving guidance that we will have cherubs who will love bedtime and will sleep on their own accord with very little fuss or none at all.

I shall leave you with a song which was listened to regularly when I was pregnant with the cherubs as it resonated with my desire to be a mummy:

Blessed by Elton John (click here to listen to music)

Hey you, you are a child in my head
You haven't walked yet
Your first words have yet to be said
But I swear you'll be blessed

I know you're still just a dream
your eyes might be green
or the bluest that I've ever seen
Anyway you'll be blessed

And you, you'll be blessed
You'll have the best
I'll promise you that
I'll pick a star the sky
Pull your name from a hat
I promise you that, promise you that, promise you that
You'll be blessed

I need you before I'm too old
To have and to hold
To walk with you and watch you grow
And know that you're blessed

2 comments:

  1. Dont feel guilty. You are doing what needs to be done. Your working place sounds like a parent friendly place so enjoy it instead as not many parents have that luxury unless they live in a country like mine

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are right to state that my place of employment is family friendly and I am conscious never to take that for granted.

    ReplyDelete