Monday, March 19, 2012

A little happier in the Food Department

It has been quite a struggle trying to feed Charlotte and Daniel for the last three weeks and I worry that:

  • they are not getting the daily nutritional requirements (I know I am mad considering that amount of 'good food' I give them) and;
  •  them waking up in the wee hours of the morning hungry (I don't ever want to go back to overnight feeding. Have not done it since they were 11 weeks young and am not about to start the vicious cycle again when they are soon to be 11 months young).
There are a whole host of reasons for this and I can blame the culprits named teething, colds, sore throat, conjunctivities, etc. The other culprit could be me as well. Not mashing their food enough and them not enjoying the whole food (albeit cut really small). Hence out came, a smorgasboard of sandwiches with different fillings (they love vegemite and cream cheese and tuna with mayonnaise), steamed vegetables, scrambled eggs, raspberries, grapes, etc. As you can see, I do make quite an effort to ensure that they eat a variety of carbohydrates, fats, protein, fruits and vegetables.

In the last week, I have also noticed that their appetites were better as compared to previous weeks. For starters, they no longer have colds, their conjunctivities under control and Charlotte's two bottom teeth have cut the surface even though they have not fully shown themselves yet.

My fellow mummy good friend brought over a container of risotto with chicken, pumpkin, onion, broccoli and spinach for the twins. They loved it! It was mushy and declicious of course! Hence, it inspired me to cook on the weekend and did I do that!

Before I share with you the 'solution', I tend to cook a few meals on the weekend for the weekdays ahead so that I have one less task to accomplish. One of those meals also tends to be a family meal suitable for us adults and for soon-to-be toddlers. On the weekend, I made such a meal and that was Shepherds Pie. The children both ate 1.5 bowls each! Wow! Was I happy! After their hearty fill of Shepherds Pie, they also had strawberries, blueberries, green grapes and cheese! Here's the recipe:

Shepherds Pie for the Family
500g minced pork and veal
500g minced turkey / beef
200g diced bacon

70g tomato paste
700g pasta sauce sugo
6 tbsps Aged Balsamic Vinegar
2 tbsps raw sugar
2tbsps mixed herbs (whatever you like)
water to ensure that sauce does not dry out
Extra virgin Olive Oil
Salt to taste (optional)

150g red lentils (unsoaked)
3 carrots, diced
3 large portbello mushrooms, diced
1 large onion, diced
1 large zucchini, diced

Mash
4 large potatoes
2 tbsps butter
1/2 cup of milk

  1. In a deep stainless steel pan, add olive oil. Brown carrots, mushrooms, onions, zucchini and bacon. Add pork & veal and turkey in small batches. Add tomato paste and herbs. Combine well. Add lentils, pasta sauce and water to ensure that it covers the entire mixture. Cook on high for 20 minutes and simmer for 1 hour.
  2. To serve, place meat mixture in bottom of ramekin and top with mash

No comments:

Post a Comment