Monday, May 21, 2012

Recipe for Toddler: Chicken & Apricot Curry

Like many parents, I arm with the hope of raising children who aren't fussy eaters and children who love their food tend to sleep better through the night (full tummies), meet their physical / developmental milestones, fulfill their daily nutritional requirements, etc. Therefore, I am constantly seeking out new recipes to try and making recipes that will suit our entire family.

One of my resources is Annabel Karmel. If you don't know of her, you must. She's a genius. I have several of her cookbooks and her website is full of wonderful recipes & hints! I have made a few recipes from her including fish pie which was devoured by my children.

When I first chanced upon this recipe, I had my doubts. Curry? Seriously?

However, the positive feedback from mothers who have tried this recipe gave me hope. Also, did you know that Dried apricots are rich in betacarotene and also contain iron?

The quantities listed in her recipe are rather minute, I suppose she's listing it for singletons. As I prefer cooking in bulk, here are my adjustments:

Chicken & Apricot Curry (serves 4 dinners / lunches)
2 handfuls of small pasta shells
2 tbsps extra virgin olive oil
1/2 white onion, finely diced
1 thumb sized ginger, finely grated
2.5 tbsps mild Korma curry paste
200ml chicken stock
150ml coconut milk
25 dried apricots, finely chopped
150g pumpkin finely diced
200g chicken breast, chopped into small pieces

Instructions (I have modified mine so I can cook everything in the one pot)
  1. In a deep stainless steel pot, add olive oil. Brown ginger and chicken for about 5 minutes. Add curry paste and mix well.
  2. Add chicken stock, coconut milk and dried apricots. Cook on high until it starts to bubble and turn down to medium. Add pasta shells.
  3. Simmer for about 15 minutes or until pasta shells are cooked through.
Tips
This meal is suitable for freezing. If your toddler needs more carbs, add some cooked rice to this meal to bulk it up!

No comments:

Post a Comment