Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Started a New Routine: What occours when we are at work

The other day (this week), I shared about our new routine for Charlotte and Daniel when I am at home with them. So what does happen on the other 4 days of the week when I am not with them for the entire day? Here goes:

5:15am
My alarm goes off and I drag myself into our ensuite for my shower before work. Yes, I choose my work clothes and my undergarments the night before and hang them in the ensuite because thinking about what to wear, let alone ensuring that the prints / colours don't clash is way beyond me. The washing machine turns on - yes, it can be set in advance to come on at a time that we choose.

5:45am
I am in the car and driving towards the office.

6:00am
The twins are up. Jared cuddles them and plonks them on their rockers in front of the plasma in our media room. Makes himself a cuppa and hope that the twins remain on their rockers while he fetches their bottles of milk from the fridge (which is filled with full-cream cow's milk that has been prepared the night before) to give them.

6:15am - 7:30am
He hangs up the washing and do whatever he needs to do with the twins after. He also feeds them their breakfast (usually breakfast cereal with full cream cow's milk topped with pureed fruit, again prepared the night before). Then he changes their nappies. Some days he can do up to 4 nappies before he drops them off at kindy.

8:00am
Children are at kindy. Jared heads home to shower and get ready for work.

8:00am - 3:30pm
Children are at kindy. They have at least 2 naps and are fed their morning tea, lunch and afternoon tea. I ring kindy at least three times per day to check in on their progress - yes, I miss them!

2:15pm
I leave work for home and head straight home, on my own. I used to rush to pick the children up so that we can go for our Afternoon walks. Since we have abandoned this walk, I have decided to so something else instead.

2:40pm - 3:20pm
I get home. Make myself a cuppa and have a small snack for energy. Bring in the dried laundry, tidy up the home from morning, lay out the children's pjs & socks on their change table for bath-time later, cook our dinner, etc. You get the point.

3:30pm
Pick the children up from kindy.

3:40pm - 4:10pm
Lots of play, cuddles, laughter with bouts of tantrums and tears especially when both of them want to play with the same toy at the same time! I heat up their dinner in the microwave.

4:15pm - 5:00pm
Dinner time

5:00pm - 5:15pm
After cleaning their hands and faces, they play on the floor while I frantically clean their high chairs, clean up their spillages on the splash mat...these days, there's always one of them clinging onto my leg so I am often seen carrying one of them on my hip while cleaning at the same time. Multi-tasking, you got to love it!

5:20pm - 5:40pm
Bath time. If I am not in a patient mood, I will carry both toddlers at the same time and walk/run towards their bathroom. If not, I will play peek and boo and cajole them to follow me down the other side of our home. Jared usually comes home mid bath to take over.

5:45pm
Jared and I sit down to dinner while the children sit in their high chairs next to us with their pre-bedtime snack of dried apples. Yes, they love to be close by.

6:00pm - 6:15pm
We sit down with one child each and give them their bottle of cow's milk and read them a few books - usually the same every night. Children love repetition and I can even read the book without reading the words!

6:20pm
The children are laid in their respective cots. We kiss them good night, keep one dimmed light on and leave their door slightly ajar.

6:20pm - 6:30pm
We clean up the kitchen and our dinner. When all is quiet, we peer in on the the children via the slightly ajar door, turn off their light and shut the door completely.

6:30pm - 8:00pm
Jared and I catch up on our day. Fold and put laundry away, prepare the milk bottles, breakfasts for the following day, etc. Good night! ZZZZZzzz

No comments:

Post a Comment