Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Took a Personal Day on Monday

The unpredictabilities of the last fortnight (teething woes, vomitting, a stint at the Children's Emergency Department on Mother's day, sleep deprivations, etc) rendered me physically and mentally exhausted. It all came ahead on Sunday and I knew there and then that I had to make a decision - to take a personal day on Monday to reccuperate. I even invited my husband to join me!

Monday came in a haze of sleep interruptions and after ensuring that Charlotte kept her milk and food down, we took Charlotte and Daniel to kindy at 8:00am.

As Jared and I are task oriented people, we decided to get a few household chores out of the way so that we don't have to do them later in the week after the children have gone to bed. Those few chores took us about an hour and then we went to Ikea to purchase a book shelf for the kids that I've been keen on for a few months. For lunch, we decided to go for yum cha and it was wonderful being able to enjoy our meal and have a conversation.

When we got home, he put the shelf together while I continued tidying up around the home and took great pleasure in organising the book shelf with the children's books and toys. I then had 30 minutes to lie in bed while Jared took time out for himself with his hobby.

All up, it was a really nice day. I would highly recommend any working mothers / working parents to take a personal day every few months or so, just to reclaim a bit of control and rest without the children.

----
Monday night was absolutely awful with children taking turns in waking up. Needless to say, we hardly got any sleep ... tonight, I am adopting the attitude of 'Tough Love'.

You see, their consistent sleep pattern was disrupted about a fortnight ago when they were distressed by teething so I was constantly comforting them through the night...it would seem that they are now craving for that level of attention through the night, still. As a result, I am a total wreck! Tough Love will rule in my home tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment