Friday, November 9, 2012

Slow Cooker Fridays: Ox Tail

Preparing and cooking up to 21 meals a week for our family of four can be tiresome to state the least especially when Friday comes along. Sure, I have left over meals (I tend to cook for 4 or more) in the freezer and REALLY who wants to eat the same dinner they had a few nights ago? We tend to have the left overs the following week so I have less meals to prepare!
On Thursday night, after our groceries have been delivered and put away, out comes the slow cooker. In it, are all the dry ingredients and the follow morning before I head out of the door for work, the wet ingredients are added + lid over the cooker + set to automatic mode (which means the slow cooker varies the cooking temp and ensures that the meal does not boil over - naturally, you got to ensure that you don't fill the cavity to the brim either!). The aroma that awaits me when I drive into my garage is simply heart-warming!
 
I will upload the photo of the final product when I get home tonight. For now, I shall share with you my super no fuss recipe for Ox Tail Stew.
 
Ox Tail Stew feeds 4
 
1.5kg ox tail
2 big celery sticks, chopped roughly
3 big carrots, chopped roughly
1 white onion, chopped roughly

1 can campbells brand big red condensed tomato soup
1/2 cup brown lentils
1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
4 tbsps sugar
1 1/2 cups water
 
1. Place all the ingredients in the slow cooker, mix it well. Cover with lid. Set the temp gauge on auto. Walk away. Meal will be ready in 6 - 8 hours.
 
Tips
*Serve it with rice / pasta / sour dough bread  / mashed potatoes or just eat it on its own
*Suitable for freezer and re-heat in microwave
*May substitute ox tail for other red meat with sinew that cooks down tenderly with time

No comments:

Post a Comment