Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Choices. To work at Home or inside & outside of the Home

There must be something in the air because I have received a significant number of emails from readers (thank you for following my blog!) requesting that I share what goes on in my family on a typical work day as some of you have made plans to return to work, some have returned to work and others are considering the return to work option.
There is no right or wrong decision when it comes to making a choice to work in the home or out of the home. We are mummies, after all. Work never finishes!

I have been a working mummy for 1.5 years and with the hand on my heart, I still have days when I think it will be 'easier' for me to be a Stay at Home Mum especially when I have to drag myself out of bed even before the sun is up, do a full day's work, cope with a sick family including myself, meals to be cooked, housework to be done and when the kids are in bed, I often choose the comforts of the bed over a cleansing shower!

On the other hand, there are also benefits to be had for being a working mummy. For starters, I make an effort to dress up and put on make up, being able to  enjoy a nice cuppa and lunch uninterrupted, going to the toilet without an audience, having my own 'play' money to spend on whatever and whoever I desire, etc...crucially, it is important for my emotional and mental well-being to have 'interests' outside the realm of the family.

Those of us who are in a position to make these choices are lucky because there are others who do not.

Therefore, in making your choice, you may like to ask yourself a few questions (as I did):



Who will care for my child / children when I am at work?


Do I want to return to work 5 days a week? If not, what will work best for me (family) and employer? 

What aspects am I willing to compromise on?

(e.g. less pay for lesser days at work for more flexibility)


What aspects am I unwilling to compromise on?
(e.g. unable to work from home when my child / children are unwell and cannot attend school)

What other help would I require at home?
(e.g. husband helping out with household chores / paying for weekly domestic help)

Now, this is what goes on in our family on a typical work day:
5:15am - 5:45am
My alarm goes off. I get out of bed and get ready for work.
I am in the car and off to work I go. (I work from 6:15am to 2:15pm)
6:00am
The kids are awake. My husband gets them out of their cots and nappies are changed. They are on the couch watching Peppa Pig while drinking their morning milk
(our kids take awhile to fully wake up)

7:00am
Breakfast is offered. Another nappy change.
8:00am
Husband drops them off at childcare. He comes home to have a shower, hangs laundry on the line, puts the dishwasher on and does a quick tidy up before he goes to work. (His office is close to home - very convenient).
2:15pm - 3:25pm
I finish work.
Drive to the supermarket for a quick grocery top up  / home to get laundry off the line, empty the dishwasher, open the windows, go to the toilet before picking them up, etc.
3:30pm
I pick the kids up from childcare.
4:00pm
We are finally home.
We cuddle up on the couch while watching episodes of Peppa Pig / animated movie Cars.
We talk, tickle, play and do a lot of cuddling during this time. The kids will not leave me alone and I don't want them to.
4:30pm - 5:00pm
Dinner time for the kids and I sit next to them while they have their main meal. Then I offer them dessert of fresh fruit.
While they have their dessert, I tidy up the home, clean up their dinner, take them for their hands and faces to be washed.
5:30pm
The husband is home and he takes over. Plays with the kids and gives them their bath.
I get our dinner sorted.
6:00pm - 6:30pm
Bath time is over. We both change the kids into PJs, reads a few books to them and it's bedtime for the kids.
6:30pm - 7:00pm
We sit down for dinner and catch up.
7:00pm - 9:00pm
Clean up the kitchen, tidy the home and some nights, the husband irons while I fold the laundry and put away all our clothes. Other nights, we sit on the couch - hold hands and watch the telly. Some nights, we do our own thing - me on the couch watching a chick flick while he is in the study, doing whatever.
9:00pm - 9:30pm
In bed reading and ZZZZZZzzzzz.
I wish you clarity and luck in whatever decision you make and know that whatever you choose, mummy guilt is never too far behind. Remember, happy mummy = happy wife = happy life.

No comments:

Post a Comment