Thursday, July 4, 2013

Recipe: Lotus Root & Peanut Soup

 
I love Chinese soups. They are clean, flavoursome and warms my heart. When I have them, I think of my maternal grandmother and mummy. Being Cantonese, a big steamy bowl of home-made soup is mandatory at dinner time. Therefore, it comes as no surprise that I make them in my home.
 
My children are still not keen on soup and love the meat that the broth is made from. My husband does not mind Chinese soups and will have a bowl whenever I make it.
 
This is one of my favourites - Lotus Root & Peanut Soup.
 
Ingredients
1kg triangular pork ribs (go to your Chinese butcher)
1 packet of frozen lotus root (no cleaning and slicing)
4 handfuls of raw peanuts
4 tbsps. (or more) of soy sauce (to taste)
1.5 litres of water
 
Instructions
1. In a deep stock pot, add pork ribs and just enough water to cover. Boil on high for 10 minutes and drain the water. This will get all the muck out of the ribs which will result in very clear soup.
 
2. In a same deep stock pot with your pork ribs, add peanut, lotus root and soy sauce. Add 1.5 litres of water. Boil for 10 minutes and simmer for the next 45 minutes or until the meat is falling off the bone.
 
3. Serve with rice or on its own.

No comments:

Post a Comment