Monday, September 23, 2013

Dinner for Fuss Pots



Fuss pots? My kids? Yes. Just like most kids, they can go from one extreme of eating everything & anything put in front of them or on my plate to the other extreme of not. If fish & chips were served to them at every meal, I am certain meal times will be a breeze! 
 
Unfortunately for them, I am not that kind of mother. In fact, if you are reading this blog post, I am certain you are not that kind of mother / father / carer too. Hallelujah for that!
 
When my kids are going through a fuss pot phase, I do not spend much time in the kitchen cooking up a storm because I do not want to be angry and disappointed when they turn their noses up at the nutritionally well-balanced and visually appetizing meal put before them.


Dinner of organic beef sausages, macaroni with basil pesto and
steamed vegetables of corn, broccoli, carrot and edamame beans

Therefore, what do I feed them? Simple meals that can be whipped up in 10 mins or less. No joke. It's a psychological thing. The less I "care", the less I will be angry and disappointed. Get the drift?
 
Having said that, I still have standards *ahem* and stick to a few rules. Every main meal must include:
  • steamed vegetables - cooked in the microwave for 3 mins
  • Meat / Fish - cooked on the spot or re-heated in the microwave for 1 min
  • carbs - sandwich / pasta / rice / rice crackers

The various elements are placed in a compartmentalised plate like the one pictured above. This enables them to see very clearly what is put before them, gives them the choice to pick & choose and most importantly, they determine the quantity consumed.
 
With the dinner pictured above, they ate almost everything except carrot and pasta with basil pesto (their favourite!) ... Oh well, fickle toddlers.
 
When Charlotte and Daniel are done with their dinner, they will give me their plates and utter "ALL DONE!"
 
Another meal down. *fist pumps in the air*


Magdalene xxx


 

No comments:

Post a Comment