Friday, November 8, 2013

Grateful Fridays: The Country that adopted me!

 
I first step foot on Australian soil when I was 14 years old with my mummy as part of a packaged tour from Singapore. On that trip, we stayed in Brisbane and on the Gold Coast. What I remember from that trip are the insane number of magazines purchased (mum and I share a love for tabloid trash) and the wide open spaces.
 
After that holiday, I expressed my desire to study in Australia. Suffice to say, that desire was squashed by my parents. After all, I was only 14 years old.
 
My next trip to Australia took place when I was 18 years old as part of an internship to TAFE and Channel 9 in Adelaide. That trip was the turning point in my life. Without my parents in tow, I was alone for the first time in my life. For 6 glorious weeks. On that trip, one of the bosses took a shinning to me and would take time out of his schedule to mentor me daily about 'my future'. I will always be grateful for those conversations  - he challenged and made me think beyond the paradigm.
 
From that moment on, I was even more determine than ever to study in Australia. It was just a matter of time.
 
That time did come. In fact, it occurred a few months shy of my 21st birthday. I was on an aeroplane bound for University in Brisbane. The 1.5 years in Brisbane were what I consider to be my first foray into independent adulthood. There were several ups and downs - all of which made me more resilient as an individual. During that time, I also met the love of my life.
 
After I had completed my undergraduate degree, it was time to return to Singapore. Obviously, that was tough because I had met the person I wish to spend the rest of my life with. However, my logical side kicked in - "if we are meant to be together, geography will not stand in our way."
 
I spent the next 12 months in Singapore - working, living with my parents and waiting rather impatiently for my Australian Visa for Professionals to come through.
 
The rest is history.
 
Australia has gifted me the strength of dreams, the opportunities to consider what I thought to be impossible, the stability of career / family and so much more.
 
Ultimately, I am grateful for my parents who gave me wings to fly despite their initial fear and resistance.
 
Like the saying "When you love someone, set them free." OR paraphrasing my mummy's words to daddy, "Let her go or else she will be left on the shelf {aka spinster}!" HAHAHAHAHAH
 
 
Have a fabulous Friday and weekend with your loved ones,
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment