Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Cooking with Children


When I am at home, I live in the kitchen. Unsurprisingly, the kids hang around there too and that's why, their play area is next to the kitchen island. It's perfect really, they play next to me while I cook & clean AND often, they are on the kitchen island while I cook. As such, they have learnt from a tender age never to touch any sharp objects or lift anything off the kitchen island, unless I give them permission to do so.

The photo above is of our first baking experience when they were 18 months of age (I think). With time, it's become obvious that one child prefers cooking more than the other and it's perfect because I get to enjoy one-on-one time with my daughter.

For starters, I really do not prepare complicated meals because I hate the aftermath of cooking and that is, the washing, cleaning, wiping down of surfaces and sometimes, even mopping of floor!

There are three cooking activities that I enjoy collaborating with Charlotte: 
Measuring & mixing marinates, cracking an egg & mixing baking mixtures and putting toppings on top of pizza!






It's all about "risk management" and they are fairly low with the above mentioned activities. Here's hoping that one day, in the not so distant future, she will be serving me breakfast in bed!


No comments:

Post a Comment