Monday, April 21, 2014

From stove to table in 20 mins: Hearty and Speedy Pumpkin Soup


During the week, I was astonished to learn that my children enjoyed the pumpkin soup that their Kindy cook dished out for lunch. Encouraged by that along with that fact that this is one of my and husband's favourite soups, I set about making it without the fancier version of roasting the pumpkin first.

This is a a fuss free, basic yet yummy Pumpkin Soup that can be made in 20 mins. No joke. I made it very quickly because there were two very hungry toddlers shadowing and nagging me the entire time in the kitchen. My daughter even ate raw pumpkin pieces as I was chopping them - that's the state of their hunger. In my view, hungry children = fuss free eating from them so I put up with their nonsense.

Mags' Hearty and Speedy Pumpkin Soup 
serves 3 hearty adult portions and 2 hungry toddlers

1 kg pumpkin, chopped into bite sized pieces without the "skin"
1 packet of chicken stock
1 can of lentils
2 tbsp butter
2 tsp garlic salt

1. In a large stainless steel pot over high heat, add butter - chopped up pumpkin - garlic salt. Mix well. Cook for 3 mins. Add lentils, chicken stock and just enough water to cover all the pumpkin pieces. Cook on high and boiling for the next 10 minutes.

2. Once the pumpkin is soft, turn the heat off and remove pot from stove. Using an electric hand blender, whizz the soup together until you get a thick puree consistency.

3. Served immediately 

Tips
* You may serve it with side of bread roll. In our case, we had store bought bacon and cheese bread roll.

* You may also add sour cream on top of the soup garnished with snipped chives.

* Left over soup is suitable for storage in the refrigerator for up to 3 days and can be reheated in the microwave

For more quick and easy family meals, click here

No comments:

Post a Comment