Monday, April 14, 2014

THE Pap Talk

 
Ever since they were infants, I have enjoyed taking Charlotte and Daniel on outings. Staying at home is definitely easier but it sends all of us stir crazy and a change of environment is the perfect anecdote.
 
When they turned 2.5 years, I ditched their twin stroller. It started with trips to our small local shopping centre (for numerous practice) - getting the twins out of the car in a busy car park, ensuring that one twin does not stray into the oncoming traffic while I get the other one out of his/her car seat, holding onto their hands tightly as we navigate through the car park and into the shops, etc. To say that they were heart palpitation moments is an understatement.
 
We have since been to bigger shopping centres with multi-storey car parks (breathe in, breathe out), parks with huge ponds (with no barriers) filled with very cute ducks, gorgeous shops filled with very delicate items, etc.
 
In recent weeks, I noticed a ritual has morphed into my sub-conscious. Even the kids have embraced this metamorphosis.
 
{The pap talk.}
 
I reckon this started because I was psyching myself up for undesirable behaviours beyond my control while out and about (Toddlers can be fickle-minded) AND convey to them, my expectations (along with its consequences should they not be followed through). This is how it goes:
 
At home - while kids are being changed
 "We are going out in 5 minutes. You must be on your best behaviour. Hold mummy's hands and do not run away from me, OK? If you do not listen to mummy, we will come straight home. OK?"
 
Kids' response - "Going out. Must hold mummy's hands."
 
In the car - when we are about to reach our destination
 "We are almost there. Remember what mummy said at home? You must be on your best behaviour. Hold mummy's hands and do not run away from me, OK? If you do not listen to mummy, we will go home immediately. OK?"
 
Kids' response - "Ok, mummy. Must hold mummy's hands."
 
Car Park at the destination - while we are still seated and strapped into our seats
 "We are here now. There are many cars and people. Hold mummy's hands and do not run away from me, OK? If you do not listen to mummy, we will go home immediately. OK?"

Kids' response - "Ok, mummy." 
 

Oh my! I sound like a broken record! hahahahaha. Call it pap talk / brain washing, it seems to work on my kids. Ultimately, it's about THEIR SAFETY and us having a GOOD TIME.

What about you? Do you have THE pap talk before you head out of the doors too??

 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment