Tuesday, May 27, 2014

My definition of "The Calm after the Storm"


I feel like we've been riding the storm without any calm in sight for the last few months. I can only imagine that this is akin to clinging onto life buoys, falling off it, scrambling for another buoy, finding it and clinging on desperately while the storm hits us relentlessly.
 
Thankfully, the storm is not life-threatening/fatal and are merely waves that remind us to pick ourselves up each time we fall, that life really does move on and everyday is a brand. new. day.

Like the title of this post suggests, following are real life scenarios that make up my current definition of The Calm After the Storm - may this calmness linger around for a bit longer.

POST SURGERY FOR DANIEL


This was Daniel's second surgery in five months for grommets insertion. You may read more about it here.

His admission time was 6:45am and I had everything ready the night before. We gently roused him from his deep sleep & quietly lifted him out of bed and in stealth mode, walked out without waking his sister. A quick change of the nappy, cuddle with daddy and we were on our way to the hospital.

The admission was swift as I opted for the online pre-registration option. Within 5 minutes of fronting up at the counter, we were ushered to Day Surgery on a different level. In the midst of playing with the toys at the kids' corner, Daniel and I were to taken at various times to meet with the head nurse, anaesthetist and surgeon. Throughout all that time, Daniel was an absolute delight - he knew what was going to happen and went along to each appointment with the brightest of smiles and personality. Suffice to say, I was one very proud and happy mummy.
 
At 8:00am, I walked with him into the operating theatre and placed him on the bed. The anaesthetic hovered the mask (emitting sleepy gas) over his nose, we sang him "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Stars"  and at the end of it, he went into sleep mode and I walked out.
 
30 minutes later, the nurse rang to say that Daniel was in the recovery ward and I immediately made my way there to see Daniel crying & calling out for me. I cuddled him tightly on my chest and plonked myself onto his bed. We stayed that way for 10 mins until he stopped whimpering when he saw the food tray! Yes, my son loves hospital food (I love hospital food in Australia too!) and ate it all up! Well, he hasn't eaten / drunk anytime since 6:30pm from the previous day and being ravenous is an understatement in itself!
 
After a few checks and ensuring that he could walk a straight line, I was given special ear drops for him and we were on our way home at 10:00am.
 
Post-Op update: He insisted on going to Kindy the following day which he did and there is immediate improvement in his general well-being and speech! HOORAY!
 
 
EXPLORE THE GREAT OUTDOORS
 

 
We experienced unseasonably warm Autumn weather over the weekend so we ventured to the playground in our local park which took on an even nicer experience. We explored all 3km of the walking trail in the park - checked out the flora and fauna, ducks in the numerous watering holes, picked up branches and used them as walking sticks, hugged trees, etc. It was such a lovely morning and one I would repeat again very soon.
 
THE ANGELS

 
 With a pair of healthy and happy toddler twins come A LOT OF NOISE AND ENERGY! Thank goodness for this pair of angels who live very close to us, who have always taken such keen interest in the lives of my children.

They came. They entertained. They laughed. They cuddled.
We, the parents...finally caught a well-deserved break.


I am going to enjoy this before the next wave hits us, yet again.
What are you grateful for?

http://makingmum.blogspot.com.au/2014/05/thankful-tuesday-thoughts-about-nesting.html
 

No comments:

Post a Comment