Monday, May 19, 2014

My son thought I had abandoned him

Photo unrelated to this post
This incident took place on Sunday at home. We were sitting on our driveway with a few young children and another mummy friend. My children took turns heading into our home via the garage bringing out more toys out to share with the other kids.

As this is a regular occurrence, I thought nothing of until I noticed that Daniel had not returned to the driveway. 

I excused myself and went into our home to investigate. What I saw shook me to the core: I knew instantly that my son thinks I have abandoned him.

There he was, standing next to the coffee table, staring at me with tears rolling down his cheeks. I walked towards him calmly even though my heart told me to hurry up. Well, I didn't want to make a fuss in case it wasn't what I thought it was.



I knelt down so that our eyes would meet and asked THE QUESTION:

"Daniel, did you think mummy left you?"

In that instant, he lowered his gaze towards the floor and nodded his head. Oh my.

"Daniel, mummy did not leave you.
I was waiting for you to re-join us on the driveway.
Would you like for us to have a cuddle on the couch?"

He looked up at me with his glistening eyes and nodded. Oh my. I cuddled him very tightly and kissed both his cheeks.

"Daniel, I love you.
I am so sorry that you thought I had left you.
I will never do that.
I love you, Daniel."

Daniel looked straight into my eyes.

"I love you, Mummy."

That one sentence of affirmation from him went straight into my heart.

"I love you, Daniel.
Would you like more kisses and tickles with me?"

He smiled, nodded and chuckled. We spent the next five minutes doing just that. We were the only ones that existed in that moment in time.

"I love you, Daniel.
Should we go back outside and play?
Would you like mummy to carry out or would you like to walk?"

He hugged me even closer.

"I love you, Mummy.
Carry outside."

I carried him tightly and together, we went outside to re-join our friends for an afternoon of relaxing fun. Making more childhood memories.

Here's to my loving and forgiving son. Thank you for your swift forgiveness of my shortcomings. 

I love you to the moon and back x infinity,

Always your #1 fan

No comments:

Post a Comment