A fortnight ago, I bought a pre-made meatloaf from the supermarket and all I had to do was plonk it in our oven for an hour. It went down so well with the kids that the husband and I ended up only eating the sides of roasted vegetables for dinner and not much meatloaf.
That prompted me to go in search of a brilliant meatloaf recipe that I could make from scratch for my family and I found it via The Pioneer Woman whom I have been following for years.
This recipe calls for everyday ingredients, is super easy to put together, fills the home with unbelievably amazing aromas and oh-so-yummy for our tummies...and the sauce will BLOW. YOUR. MIND
The slightly modified Pioneer Woman's Meatloaf Recipe
1 kg minced beef
1 cup skim milk
6 slices of white bread
1 cup of grated Parmesan cheese
1 tsp garlic salt
1/3 cup dried parsley
4 whole eggs, beaten
10 slices thinly sliced bacon
Freshly ground black pepper
1 cup tomato ketchup
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 tsp dry mustard
- Preheat oven to 200C. In a large and deep bowl, pour milk over the bread slices. Allow it to soak for several minute while breaking it down with your fingers.
- Add the beef to the mushy soaked bread. Add Parmesan, Garlic salt, black pepper, parsley and eggs.
- With clean hands, mix the ingredients until well-combined. Form the mixture into a loaf shape in a roasting tray (lined with foil and grease proof paper).
- Lay bacon slices over the top,tucking them underneath the meatloaf.
- Make the sauce: Add all the ingredients and stir well. Pour 1/3 of the mixture over the top of the bacon. Spread with spoon.
- Bake for 1 hour, then pour another 1/3 sauce over the top. Bake for another 15 minutes. Slice and serve with remaining sauce.
|Ta Da! The final product!|
This delicious and filling meal was served with sides of roasted pumpkin & potatoes and steamed corn on the cobs and broccoli.
All of us inhaled this meal with gusto including our 3 year old toddlers. This is a meal I will serve up again in the not so distant future while the weather is cool.