Wednesday, June 4, 2014

How do you cope?


 
 
That is the question regularly asked of me and I often wonder the same of other families specifically those with triplets, quadruplets, quintuplets, sextuplets, etc - "HOW DO THEY COPE!?"
 
As working parents (whose dream is to have two children) without domestic help, I reckon we hit jackpot with the gift of our twins.
 
It is certainly not chocolates and roses all the time AND our first year was simply brutal. It is by far, the single hardest period of my life and it is no wonder, neither my husband nor I want to re-live that period ever again. *shudder*
 
Having two children at the same time means I don't have to adjust my expectations of them based on their age and development. That has been our approach from the moment they were born - they were fed, burped, bathed and put to bed at the same time, every single day. It is the same today.
 
Keeping them on the same routine ensures that we are not doing the same activity twice. Well, there is one activity that resembles groundhog day and that is filling in a mountain of forms for one kid and having to repeat the same process for the other kid. I can't imagine what this particular activity is like for families with triplets, quadruplets, quintuplets, sextuplets, etc. *shudder*
 
As for housework, we have what we term as organised chaos. You can read more about that here. In addition, we also rope in our off springs.
 
 

It is certainly never too early to include our children in the running of our household. It gives them a sense of purpose, responsibility and belonging. Also, housework distracts them from bickering with each other!

Like all families, some days are better than others. There are days when I cope and there are days when I don't. There are days when I wish bedtime would come sooner and there are days when I wish it were longer. There have also been instances when I dream of running away on my own.

Such is life.
My life, to be precise.
With my spouse beside me.
And our children climbing all over us.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment