Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Imagination Play with no-cook Playdough

I certainly consider myself to be one of those "lucky" working parents because I have 3 quality days with the children. Those days consists of outings, socials, weekly swim class and certainly, A LOT OF PLAY.

Daniel loves his trains and anything related to trains. Charlotte loves her dolls, dressing up, crafting, etc.

As you may have read from my previous blog post, I am a non-baker. Hence when I came across a no-cook recipe for playdough with fantastic reviews, I knew I had to give it a go! Unsurprisingly, the request was to make an "Elsa" (from Frozen the Disney Cartoon Movie).

 "Elsa"

Recipe for no-cook playdough (source)
2 cups of plain flour
1/2 cup salt
2 tbsps Cream of Tartar
1.5 cups boiling water
2 tbsps vegetable oil
Optional areas: Food colouring, glitter, etc.

Method
  1. In a large bowl, add flour, salt and cream of tartar
  2. In a jug, add boiling water, vegetable oil and food colouring (optional extra)
  3. Pour the hot liquid into the bowl of dry ingredients and stir VERY QUICKLY until they all come together
  4. When it is mostly combined, place it on your kitchen benchtop for good kneading. If the mixture is sticky, add some flour to the surface and keep kneading. That's it!
Tip for storage
According to this website, store the playdough in a zip lock bag or air tight container to get months and months of play!



Imagination Play
I looked in their toy boxes and gave then the following materials:
  • Silicon cupcake liners
  • Pipe cleaners
  • Plastic animals
They both made cupcakes and stuck the pipe cleaners on top for "candles". They sang me the birthday song quite a few times and yes, I blew those candles out quite a few times too. Daniel made a snow scene for his animals and enjoyed sprinkling snow all over them!

The other ideas I have seen on the web which I will be trying out includes:
  • Playdough with eucalyptus oil (good for kids with colds!)
  • Playdough with gingerbread man scent (add ground ginger and cinnamon) for more realistic play!
  • Playdough with strawberries and cream (infuse a teabag of strawberries and cream into the hot water)! YUM!

2 comments:

  1. Oh wow this is cool! =) We would love to play with this too, without the hassle of needing to bake. Haha. Thanks so much for sharing and for linking up! =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Summer!!!!! You are in my view, the Queen of Crafting so I am tickled pink by your feedback!!!!!

      Delete