Curry Puffs is a small pie filled with thick curried chicken and potatoes (to prevent it from oozing out of the pastry) in deep fried or baked pastry shells. This is a snack commonly consumed in Brunei, Malaysia, Thailand and Singapore. It is akin to the Portuguese stuffed bread called Empanada. Other common varieties of fillings include sardines and onions, paneer, potato, vegetables, hard boiled eggs, etc.
This was my first attempt at making curry puffs. It is so easy and rates very high on the fragrance and taste! My first attempt yielded 20 curry puffs and they were ALL consumed on the same day. Here's my Easy Peasy Curry Puffs if have a hankering for them.
250g chicken thigh fillets, diced into small pieces
1 big yellow potato, diced into small pieces
1 medium size white onion, diced into small pieces
1 heap tbsp Baba's brand Meat Curry Powder (you must get this brand)
2 tbsps vegetable oil
2 tsps salt
2 tsps sugar
1/4 cup water
1 pkt of 5 frozen shortcrust pastry sheets, thawed
- Using a big /medium sized circular cookie cutter or bowl, cut out the shapes and place them on a plate with greaseproof paper and put them in the fridge while you prepare the filling.
- In a pan over high heat, add oil and onions. Cook for 3 minutes, add curry powder and mix well for 3 minutes. Add chicken, mix well and cook for 5 minutes. Add potatoes, salt, sugar and water. Mix well and cover for 10 minutes over low heat.
- Once the filling is cool, you can start assembling the curry puffs!
- In the middle of each prepared circle sheet of shortcrust pastry, place 2 or 3 tsps of filling in the middle, fold it into half and crimp the edges.
- In a clean and dry deep pot, add vegetable oil and get it up to temperature for deep frying. Add 2 or 3 curry puffs in the pot for crying. DO NOT OVER-CROWD. The puffs will turn a golden brown in less than 5 minutes so you need to be vigilant!
The curry puffs are best eaten once they are cooked as it will have a crunchy pastry shell. The aroma of the filling with the crunch of the pastry shell will enable you to grow wings!