I love pork crackling. The crunch noise when the knife cuts through it and the crunch again when my teeth chomps on it. It is heaven on a plate!
To ensure fantastic crackling every time, there are three things you must do:
- Ensure that the skin of the pig is very, very dry.
- Score the skin evenly before putting it into the oven.
- The oven must be very, very hot.
Ensure that the skin of the pig is very,very dry.
- Rub the skin of the pork belly with salt. This draws out the moisture.
- If you have the time, leave the pork belly (skin up) on a plate in the fridge uncovered overnight. Use paper towels to pat the skin dry.
- If you do not have the time, lay the pork belly on a plate with paper towel and rub salt generously over the skin. Leave it in the fridge for 30 minutes. Bring it out of the fridge, pat the skin dry and rub off any excess salt. Rub salt generously over the skin again and leave it in the fridge for another 30 minutes. Repeat this step 3 times.
- Score the skin evenly. Making sure that you do not cut into the flesh.
- Sprinkle 3 tbsps garlic salt over the skin and rub it in.
- Drizzle extra virgin olive oil over the skin.
The oven must be very, very hot
- Crank up your oven to its maximum temperature and let that oven get up to that temperature. Mine only goes up to 240C and it took 40 minutes.
- When you place your prepared pork belly into the oven, it should sizzle immediately!
Mags' Juicy Pork Belly with Crunchy Crackling
serves 2 adults and 2 toddlers
800g pork belly
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
8 long stems of rosemary cut into half
1. Pre-heat your oven to the highest temperature.
2. Prepare your pork belly according to the three tips listed above.
3. Place your pork belly on a bed of rosemary. This allows air flow between the meat and oven pan.
4. Once your oven is at its highest temperature (mine took 40 minutes), place the tray of meat into the oven.
5. Cook for 30 minutes (by this stage, your crackling will look like the photo above), turn the oven temperature down to 160C and cook for another 40 minutes or until cooked through.
6. Let it rest for 30 minutes and carve.
Serve the sliced up pork belly with whatever sides you desire. YUMMY!!!!