Thursday, August 27, 2015

It's a spur-of-the-moment thing

We lead a rather regimented routine during the week and that enables us to do what we need to do as a working and childcare family and as individuals who need time on our own to take on other pursuits such as creative play for the kids and housework for the adults. Therefore, there is little room for spontaneity except for bike rides to feed the ducks / play in the park / head to our friends' home for a play before dinner, if the schedule permits (which is not often).

The other day as I was driving home from work and thinking about my children (nothing new there) in the blistering heat of 30C in late Winter (yes, you read that right, Winter. 30C), I thought "ice-cream would be nice!" That was it.

Instead of my usual routine prior to picking them up from childcare, I chose spontaneity.

It was still rest time at childcare when I walked in.

My children ran up to me, sporting the most radiant of smiles and gave me the deepest of cuddles. I knelt and whispered into their ears, "Want to go for ice-cream?" ... "YES!" and off we went.

This is a rare treat for all of us because we only have ice-cream and fast food, once a month. If any.

Charlotte and Daniel were given the freedom to pick whatever flavour they wanted (child size, single scoop in a cup) and 1 topping each.

It was a relaxing, cool and most delicious Afternoon Tea treat. One that kept us buzzing for the rest of the day!


Perhaps, I should do a bit more spontaneity, a little more often.

No comments:

Post a Comment