Cooking is one of my creative / relaxation outlets especially when the meals are of the "one pot" variety. It transports my brain to a different place and enables me to focus on the tasks at hand. Here is another hearty meal that is simple, full of flavour, nutritional goodness and my family loved it!
Hearty Beef Stew with 1/2 bottle of red wine
(serves 4 adults and 4 young children)
700g chuck beef, cut against the grain
8 cloves of garlic
8 Swiss brown / button mushrooms
8 stalks of fresh thyme leaves
4 celery stalks
1 stalk of rosemary leaves
1 tin of chickpeas
1 bottle of tomato sugo
1 cup of plain flour mixed with 4 tbsps garlic salt
1/2 bottle of your favourite red wine
Extra virgin Olive Oil
Salt and Pepper to taste
1. In a large zip lock bag, combine flour with garlic salt and beef. Zip the bag up and shake away until all the meat is well coated.
2. In a large casserole pot over medium heat, add olive oil and let is heat up for at least 1 minute. Add prepared beef and cook until it is browned. Do no over crowd the pan because the beef will stew. Catch it in batches. Once it is browned, set aside.
3. In the same pan, add a little more olive oil over medium heat. Place garlic, celery carrots, mushroom, 1/2 fresh thyme leaves and 1/2 rosemary leaves. Cook for 3 minutes. Add red wine and scrap the bottom of your pan as it sizzles because the brown bits on the bottom of your pan has heaps of flavour.
4. Add tomato sugo and chickpeas. Cook on high for 10 minutes and simmered on low with lid on for 45 minutes or until beef is tender.
5. To serve, sprinkle the remaining herbs on the top. Eat this hearty stew on its own / with a side of crusty bread / cooked pasta / mashed potato / cooked rice / with puff pastry on top....the combination is endless.
Tip: The flavours will develop deeper over the next few days so you can delaying serving this, all the better.