Friday, September 4, 2015

From womb mates to best mates



Dearest Charlotte and Daniel

I will never know what it is like to have one child at a time even though I know what it is like to be an only child to two devoted and loving parents.

I have never hankered for a sibling until I see what it means to have one through the both of you.

You have been together right from the start. Now, that is pretty special.

You have your fair share of arguments - 
why do you think I always have snacks in the car? 
To keep the both of you quiet so that I can hear myself think.

You have your fair share of punishments - 
why do you think I never take sides? 
To teach you to sort out your own differences. I am not a helicopter parent.

You have your fair share of grouchiness - 
why do you think I send you to your bedroom?
To give you the space to calm down and reflect so that I can safeguard my vocal cords.

Despite all those antics, you also find immense joy and support in each other. 
These are the parts I am most envious of.

Always looking out for one another and ensuring that the other is not left behind.
A look from one of you will send the both of you rolling on the floor in stitches.
Both of you sitting at the table, eating the same meals and pulling silly faces.
Going to bed together and chatting to each other in the dark.
Sitting in the back of the car and playing "eye spy".
Making up silly songs and laughing till you are blue in the faces.
Calling out for the other when you spot your sibling's favourite toy.

Oh the wonderful times and memories that you will keep creating.

My wish is that you will always be best mates.
That you will be open, loving, supportive and kind.
Importantly, you will always have each other.

Alright, enough of this. If you are reading this (in years to come), please go and tidy up. Don't point the finger and say that it wasn't your mess. Just help each other out. Trust me, you don't want to hear me scream!

Always your #1 fan,

Mummy

No comments:

Post a Comment