Five weeks ago, we entered a new phase when the twins entered primary school as prep students. Mornings are not a struggle for them because they go to bed at 7 pm and are awake anytime after 6 am. They have leisurely mornings at home before being taken to school by their daddy and when the school ends for the day, I am there to pick them up.
It is a hive of organised activities when we get home in the afternoons.
- The wipe down of lunch bags, wash up of morning tea & lunch boxes.
- The packing of morning tea & lunch boxes for the next day.
- Bring in the laundry that the husband has hung out in the morning - fold and return to respective wardrobes.
- The house gets a quick vacuum.
- The kids tidy their messes from the morning.
- Start cooking dinner
- Sit down at the table with the kids for a spot of home work
- If time permits, a dip in our pool before dinner.
- Dinner and clean up
- Reading / drawing / a spot of television
We have also made a conscious decision to only have one out of school activity and that is their weekly swimming lessons because they enjoy it and have been going for lessons since they were 6 month young infants.
Admittedly, some days are 'easier' than others. Still, I wouldn't have it any other way because it enables me to be a parent who is always present in their lives. That to me, is most important and am grateful that my career allows me to do this.