Monday, March 21, 2016

Recipe: Fruity Energy Balls

I am a owner of several cook books and many of them sit rigidly on my shelf collecting dust on & around them. Honestly, I like the idea of attempting new recipes and often don't attempt more than one due to the lack luster outcomes. It's like once beaten, never to try again.

Recently, I read several fantastic reviews of recipes by Chelsea Winter and the photos of delicious foods from her "followers" convinced me to give her a shot. 

Her cook book came in the mail a fortnight ago and since then, I have made it my mission to make 3 new recipes every weekend and yes, if you are counting...I am up to 6.

Her recipes calls for every day ingredients and her instructions are very methodical. Suits my personality type to a tee.

On the first weekend, I have made Roasted Pumpkin, Kumara and Carrot Soup, Kiwi Shepherd's Pie and Chocolate Tart. The aromas danced through my home and the meals were absolutely delicious! My family ate it up including my soon to be 5 year old twins. Now, when kids love it...you know, you are onto a winner.

On the second weekend (just passed), I made Juicy Pork Chops with the Tastiest Sauce, Chicken and Pumpkin Lasagna and Fruity Energy Balls. They were D-E-L-I-C-I-O-U-S and finger lick'in good!

Since I am not known for making desserts from scratch, I would like to share with you a very simple and whole dessert that even I can make. 


FRUITY ENERGY BALLS
Makes 46

These balls have no gluten, dairy and refined sugar. They taste terrific, 100% natural, full of fibre and contains no added artificial nonsense.

Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes



1 cup raw cashew nuts
1 cup whole raw almonds
extra virgin olive oil for cooking
salt


1 cup pitted dates, chopped
1/2 cup raisins
zest and juice of 1 large orange
1/2 cup firm honey
2 tsp vanilla essence or paste


2 cups dried apricots, chopped
1 large ripe banana
1 cup desiccated coconut, plus extra for coating
1 cup pumpkin or sunflower seeds
1/2 cup LSA mix


  1. Place cashew and almonds on a large fry pan over low heat, drizzled with oil and sprinkle with salt. Move the nuts around for about 8 minutes or until golden and fragrant.
  2. Place the dates in a saucepan with raisins, orange zest and juice, honey and vanilla. Cook, stirring, for about 10 minutes until soft and mushy.
  3. Place the apricots in a food processor and pulse into a mush. Add the date mixture, cooled nuts, banana, coconut, seeds and LSA mix. Process everything until nearly smooth.
  4. Roll into walnut-sized balls and coat in extra coconut. Keep in an air tight container in the fridge for ages.

No comments:

Post a Comment